Search This Blog

21 April, 2009

Poilce Stop

A couple of nights ago Ms. Allclick and I got the "Joneses" for some delicious take out ice cream. We hopped into the car in sweat pants and t-shirts we wear around the house and set off on our merry way. The bank is only just over the hill so we thought "why not just pick up some cash while we are out?". Great idea until we crested the hill and realised it was 10:00pm on a weekend and a perfect time for police to do a sobriety check point. Luckily the traffic wasn't too bad going one way so I was quickly approached by a poilce officer. "Good evening folks" he said, shining his light into my eyes and then the back of the car "Haven't been drinking tonight......havewe?" He crammed those last two words together quickly. I laughed a little and said no and he let us on our way. We hadn't been drinking but I was still a little nervous from the situation. My previous experience with police had been more formal and cold. This police officer was polite, friendly and asked us about our drinking like a dad would his son on the way home from prom. I couldn't help but be amused. After reaching the bank we then had to turn around and come back through. This time a lady officier approached the window. "you guys not been drinking tonight have you? Well, actually I don't care if she has been drinking but have you?" I laughed a little again. She was so casual and we really didn't look like we had been to a bar that evening. Again, I said "no" and we moved along. Thanks local police for doing a great job. I hear Pittsburgh might need some training from you.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Isn't it funny how nervous you can get around uniformed authorities even when you're doing nothing wrong? I'm that way at airports now.

My daughter and I went through a sobriety checkpoint recently. I'm not sure why but they didn't even stop me to chat -- they just waved me on through.

Spike Nesmith said...

Pittsburgh AND Upshur County.

There needs to be more crime in both places for two simple reasons; One, so that they don't have to feel like they have to penalise staggeringly minor offenses just to pass the time - and two, so they get shot at more.

Neurotic Atty said...

I once got stopped at a seatbelt/license check in college. I was wearing my seatbelt, but I couldn't find my license in my wallet or anywhere else in my purse. I was nearly in tears (I was 18) before I remembered I had stuck it in my college ID holder in the console. The cop was very nice and kept reassuring me that it wasn't a big deal. I think 18-year-old near-crying girls make cops nervous.

All Click said...

PH: Yer, I get nervous at airports especially. Then I think I better act normal and end up looking more nervous and the cycle continues.

SN: Upshur county too? It's a pandemic equal to swine flu!

Atty: Thanks for the story! They didn't actually ask to see my license which was weird, but no doubt I'd do the same thing. Probably with less tears though.

Spike Nesmith said...

Yeah - a $70 ticket for "blowing through a stop sign". (his words)

What *actually* happened was that I slowed down to an almost stop at the stop sign (breaks were on and the speedometer was flat) going from a deserted off-ramp to a deserted street at twenty to one on a weekday morning. THINK OF THE PEOPLE I COULD HAVE KILLED!!!

These uniformed fuckwits make it so hard to like them. I hope some crackshot crackpot has ventilated that prick by now.

Figures I'd move to a place where my wife's ex brother in law runs the police department, huh?