Search This Blog

08 July, 2009

Missing out


It looks like WV actually ended up in the black last Fiscal year. A surplus of 2.5 million-ish. My idea is to loan it to California at a ridiculous interest but who knows when would see that again. Regardless of the surplus, I think WV can do better. We could start with license plates. It seems to be some sort of payment dodge that a lot of people take advantage of. When I walk out into my parking lot I see North Carolina plates, Ohio plates, I see South Carolina plates, even Florida plates but precious few West Virginia plates. I'd kinda understand if I lived on the border of any of these states but I'd say even Ohio is an hours drive. It irks me when my plates are Wild and Wonderful and my money is going toward Joe Manchin's pockets Wv roads and the folks next door are funding some other state to save a few bucks.

At least with dem tolls going up we can get some of that out of staters money heading our way.

5 comments:

Paul said...

That problem originates with WV's draconian tax laws. If I buy a car in Ohio I pay Ohio sales tax on it. But then if I move to WV and want to register that car here I have to pay sales tax on it again. It's insane.

I don't blame people for dodging that tax, anymore than I blame border residents for crossing state lines to buy food or gas in order to dodge WV's higher taxes.

All Click said...

That is what I had heard and I agree. That's insane to pay sales tax twice. Is it meant to be some sort of punishment for buying a car in a different state?

Even if West Virginia said "Ok, you bought you car elsewhere. Now, hand over $10 and we'll give you a WV plate." Then that is at least $10 (minus tax, shipping and processing fee) per car going into WV funds.

Paul said...

Exactly. What some politicians find baffling is that sometimes decreasing a tax (or taxes) can result in a net increase in revenue. But WV democrats never met a tax they didn't like.

All Click said...

If only Wal-mart could run a state...

Paul said...

Give it time.