Search This Blog

04 February, 2008

When is that new Wal-mart ready?


Well, Wal-mart is finally coming to Hurricane. March 8th I think. It looks almost finished from the interstate. I have mixed feelings about it. It will be great that I'll have a store to pop into on the way home without going too far out of the way. It will be nice to have a cheaper alternative to the other supermarkets and hopefully it will encourage the growth of other stores around the area and restaurants in which we need. Having watched 20 mins of a Wal-mart documentary over the weekend (Wal-mart: The high cost of low price) though i'm a little concerned. Especially about the impact it has on smaller stores i.e. putting them out of business.
I think the best part will be having an alternative to the Kroger store in Teays Valley. Despite having a bunch of cool British products it is frequently out of stock on the sale items, or has a poor selection of items I have coupons for. It's usually way more expensive than Wal-mart. Despite this, I went shopping there over the weekend. I was mildly excited to have a coupon for $3 off a sheet cake. Excellent. A sheet cake will go nicely with some Super Bowl super snacks. We picked out a sheet cake, which was Super Bowl themed, and had a few cupcakes around it. When Ms. Allclick and I arrived at the register we were informed that "This isn't a sheet cake. It's a ..small cake with cupcakes around it." I looked down at the label which clearly said "sheet cake" and looked back up at the manager. "If you want to get another cake you can". Err no thanks. I'll get one at Wal-mart next time. The cupcakes were pretty squished anyway.

4 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm sorry, but I love the crap out of Walmart. It's your one stop shopping! I didn't realize Hurricane was getting one. I always shop at the Cross Lanes one.

moneytastesbad said...

I always feel.....dirty when I leave Wal-Mart. The problem is they are just so damn reasonably priced. I have vowed that eventually I will be able to afford to never shop there again.

All Click said...

I think my verdict is still out on Wal-mart. It's a love-hate relationship I guess!
I'm usually up at the Cross-lanes one but hopefully not for much longer.

Money: yer I always need a shower after leaving there!

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

I agree with Moneytastesbad.

WM moved into Spencer and shut down a lot of stuff, but the town recovered. The Mom & Pop grocery stores, farmers market and dollar stores are all hanging in there.

It's pretty much the only place in town to get some things, so I shop there more than I want to. I try to support the locally-owned biz whenever I can, though.