Search This Blog

30 November, 2007

The Mist - Movie Review

Well, it's been a while since I did a movie review..but everyone I speak to seems to either expect this film to be disappointing or has not heard anything about it. Let me start off by saying all those people should a) find out about it because b) they won't be disappointed. At least I wasn't. I went into the film expecting the commercials to have spoiled everything. It sure looked like they had. But the film is a constant stream of goings on that the commercial didn't even touch upon. The movie cuts right to the action, the mist sets in quickly and we soon learn of what might be out there.

I'm not really a fan of horror movies. I'll watch them, but would pick a decent action/thriller over them if push came to shove. What I really liked about this movie, and all of Stephen King's books/films is that the focus is not on the supernatural event, it's all about the human reaction to it. Whilst the creepyness is completely made-up the emotion from the characters is believable, realistic and illustrates to us how human nature can be. This film has a whole range of emotion from intense fear, to desperation, sadness, excitement, hopelessness, joy...and like in all good horror movies it shows that in the face of adversity, we can overcome our problems.

No matter how slimy they are.

7 comments:

jedijawa said...

I love Stephen King for being able to write about what makes us human in terms of that thin venir that keeps us from going apeshit on each other.

I first encountered this story as a 3D audio production. It was a cool project. I think I'll have to try to go see it now. Thanks man!

All Click said...

No problem! It really is worth going to see at the cinema. And I don't say that too often!

jedijawa said...

I linked to this one too.

All Click said...

hehe thanks for this as well! Hope the film didn't disappoint you.

jedijawa said...

No way dude. I loved it!

Anonymous said...

I agree totally… The Mist was one of the better horror movies of 2008. It looks like Blockbuster has a $1.99 coupon for any rental on their cool THE MIST dvd release site www.themistmoviedvd.com including a fun game to play. It looks like The Mist releases on Tuesday, March 25th. If you like Stephen King and horror movies, you have to see this one.

Anonymous said...

the Mist is a thinker for sure, pretty good all around, except a lot of the character conflict was really predictable...

is it me, or did those insect-like aliens have human teeth?