Search This Blog

12 February, 2009

Power Out

Last night the power went out. It's not the first time it's happened to me but probably the longest time that I've ever experienced and certainly the earliest in the day that I remember the power going out. It starts off being a bit of an adventure. Laughing at suggestions to do things like "Let's just watch a DVD till the power comes back on" or flicking the light switch still every time you enter a dark room. After about an hour and a half I was freaking out. It's funny how many things we depend on for power and these things looked somehow pathetic without power. The ceiling fan, television, laptop, all just eye-sores if they can't function. Just useless pieces of metal and plastic.
The power eventually came back on around 4am and I count myself very lucky as I know there are thousands still without power today.

4 comments:

larryosaurus said...

At least it wasn't 10 degrees last night :D

For real tho' people should have enough food and water stocked up to last at least a week if the power goes out. That's just common sense.

If you wanna take it a step further, you should raise a garden and rabbits to make sure you'll always have food....you know, just in case. And enough ammo to protect it from grasshoppers who like to play instead of plan ;)

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Amazingly, we did not lose power last night - lights flickered, but stayed on! Shocking. But, every time we DO lose power, we like to reminisce about the time the Evil Twin was younger and their power went out. He said his whole family sat around lamenting all the things they could not do, i.e. "No TV" etc. Then his younger sister piped up and said, "This means we can't flush the toilet!" LOL.

Paul said...

I can't believe the power stayed on at RedZeppelin manor, considering a well-aimed squirrel fart is usually enough to cause an outage in my neighborhood.

I've got my "power outage" kit all ready though:

Beans & bullets.
Candle & Kindle.

All Click said...

Jackie: Yes I'm very glad that it was warm outside. trouble is I got too hot during the night and had no way to cool down! Woe is me! I think I have enough food and water. But I'd probably just move out.

ETW: I think I made the "flush the toilet" joke too, although I wasn't serious at the time. :-p

RZ: I like your survival kit! I love me some beans. My kit includes a flashlight that holds power for..oh..at least 5 seconds. Do you need a candle to use your kindle?